Art Beat 2021 is scheduled for August 21, 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
We will be working closely with the St. Joseph County Department of Health to determine the appropriate measures to make this event as safe as possible, so be prepared for possible changes to the normal routine for Art Beat.
Eligibility: Artists living in the following counties are eligible for participation: St. Joseph, Elkhart, LaPorte, Marshall, Kosciusko, and Starke counties in Indiana and Berrien and Cass counties in Michigan.
Downtown South Bend is in close communication with the St. Joseph County Department of Health and will work to ensure Art Beat is executed in as safe a manner as possible. With the ever-changing standards of COVID-19 safety measures, specific rules on social distancing, booth spacing, mask usage, maximum attendance, and other precautions will not be known until closer to the event. A full safety plan will appear on ArtBeatSouthBend.org.
Because we will not know until closer to the event how many booths we will be able to have, we will be instituting a larger than normal waitlist for 2021. Waitlisted applicants will be notified of their acceptance one month before the event - July 21 - and will be given the option to remain on the waitlist for the remaining month should other applicants drop out.
All fees are non-refundable. In 2020, due to the exceptional circumstances surrounding COVID-19, Downtown South Bend made an exception to this rule and processed refunds. However, they will not be able to do this again for 2021. We are very optimistic that some version of Art Beat will take place this year, but it is very likely that there will be far fewer booths than in past years in order to provide for distancing. Please keep this in mind while applying, and know that you will not be able to get your $10 application processing fee returned if you are not admitted, or if the event is canceled again due to an unforeseen rise in local cases.
2019 Event Info Listed Below
2019 Artist Booth Listings and Maps
Click here for a list of 2019 Booth Listings. The listings are divided into the four "Scenes" plus Kid Beat and the Fine Arts Showcase. Within each location, the listings appear in alphabetical order by the last name of the applicant. Booths highlighted in green will have access to electricity.
Click here for a map of the entire Art Beat layout
Click here for a map of the booths located in Scene A, Scene B, and Kid Beat
Click here for a map of the booths located in Scene C, Scene D, and the Fine Arts Showcase
Click here for a close-up map of Kid Beat
Click here for a map of free parking options, and a map of the free Transpo shuttle that will run from noon to 6:00 p.m. Note - paid parking will also be available in the Century Center lot.
Procedures for Set-up and Tear-down
Click here for a map showing the three entry points for this year's event and the directional flow of the one-way traffic. It's important that the following procedures be adhered to by participants to ensure a smooth flow of traffic during set-up and tear-down.
Set-up and Parking
1. Enter from the east side of the Art Beat campus at one of the following three entry points: Jefferson & Hill, Washington & Hill, or Niles & Washington.
2. Follow the one-way flow of traffic west and/or south to drive to your booth.
3. We recommend you scope out your booth location in advance of event day to better familiarize yourself with where you're going. Booths numbers are marked on the curbs in 11 foot increments for you to center your 10 foot tent in between the boundary lines in front of the sidewalk. NOTE - booths on the bridge (#170 to #258 and #179 to #267 are located in the center of the bridge back-to-back, even though the numbers are written on the curbs.)
4. Even booths are located on the north and west sides of the streets. Odd booths are located onthe south and east sides of the street.
5. Set-up times for even-numbered booths is 8:00 a.m., for odd-numbered booths is 9:00 a.m, but if you need extra time to get set up, you can come as early as 7:00 a.m. Arrival deadline is 10:00 a.m. and all vehicles must be out of the Art Beat layout by 10:30 a.m. The barricades will be put in place at this time.
6. Important - park your car TEMPORARILY in your spot to unload your items on the sidewalk by your booth, then park your car (or have your booth buddy park your car - strongly recommended), then set-up. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR BLOCKING THE PATH WHILE YOU SET UP YOUR BOOTH! Be kind to your neighbors!
7. Free parking is located in various points (see map) but the most convenient parking location will be in the Crowe lot, which will need to be accessed via Western as booths will be blocking the entrance off Jefferson (see map for route.)
1. Early tear-down is not permitted and no vehicles will be allowed to enter the Art Beat campus until 7:30 p.m. for pedestrian safety. Barricades will be removed at this time.
2. Pack up your items and tear down your tent BEFORE retrieving your vehicle. Put your items on the sidewalk behind your booth location.
3. Retrieve your car using the same entry points and one-way traffic flow as during set-up, park in your booth spot, and load up.
4. Pat yourself on the back for being a part of Art Beat 2019 and look back fondly on your day and the new customers and friends you made!
NOTE -set-up and tear-down are different for vendors at KID BEAT! and the Fine Arts Showcase. KID BEAT! participants have been emailed their instructions. Fine Arts Showcase participants can park in the parking lot east of AM General and use a dolly/cart to transport items to their booths along the East Race. No staking is permitted along the East Race.
Art Beat Newsletters
You can find online versions of the e-newsletters sent out to participants by clicking below:
Artist Welcome Bags