Visit the Dot Shop inside the South Bend Museum of Art from December 4-24 to view this year’s Gingerbread Village and vote for your favorite!
Interested in submitting your own creation? Click here to register for this year’s competition. Entry deadline is Wednesday, December 2nd. View Competition rules below.
The Gingerbread Competition returns to downtown South Bend, and will be located inside the South Bend Museum of Art this year, from December 4-24.
Deadline for entries is Wednesday, December 2, 2020.
Now is the time to begin planning your project. Design a one-of-a-kind gingerbread house or novelty item. Don’t have a lot of time? Then use a gingerbread house kit. Create something on your own or gather your family, friends, or a favorite group or club together to create an original piece.
•Residents of St. Joseph, Marshall, LaPorte & Elkhart Counties in Indiana and Berrien, Cass, & St. Joseph Counties in Michigan.
• Only one creation per entry form.
• Base measurement of house not to exceed 36” x 28”.
• Multiple entries (each with own form) may be submitted by a group or individual.
• Competition and project categories must be chosen and marked on entry form.
• No non-edible materials may be used in the construction.
• All entries must be made of gingerbread; other edible items can be used as decoration/trim.
• Heavy Styrofoam or covered plywood bases are recommended for stability.
• Be creative! Non-traditional designs are welcome.
• Entries that fall apart will be removed from the display area.
JUDGING & AWARDS
Judging will take place on December 19 at 2:00 p.m. with the award ceremony at 3:00 p.m. at the South Bend Museum of Art. Entries will be judged on originality, design, craftsmanship, degree of difficulty and overall appearance. Points will be deducted from entries not following competition guidelines.
• NON-PROFESSIONAL CHILD (18 & Under)
• NON-PROFESSIONAL (Individual, Family -or- Group)
• PROFESSIONAL (Individual -or- Group)
• PEOPLE’S CHOICE
Prizes will be awarded to to the first, second, and third place in each category.
DELIVERY & PICKUP
Entries are to be dropped off, fully assembled, to the South Bend Museum of Art Dec. 2 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Dec. 3 from noon to 1:00 p.m. The South Bend Museum of Art is located in the Century Center at 120 S. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Participants may park in the circle drive and use the museum’s main entrance under the green circle with the word “art” in it.
Contestants will be able to pick up their entries December 24, 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., or December 28 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Any entry still remaining after December 28 at 4:00 p.m. will be thrown away. If special delivery hours or alternate pick-up times are needed, please contact Kylie at the DTSB Office: 574-282-1110 or firstname.lastname@example.org.